The brief history of the club
Formerly the stables of the great Wanstead House which was built in 1720, the palace that was the seat of Earl Tylney of Castlemaine. Such was its renown that in1764 King George 111 and Queen Charlotte escorted by Light Horse outriders were guests of John, 2nd Earl of Tylney. The beautiful house met its demise in 1825 and the landscaped gardens play host to the golfers with the first hole incorporating the wine cellars of the old house. The land is now the home of not just the golfers of Wanstead, but the bowlers, tennis players and cricketers too.